Attention and working memory are two important cognitive systems that interact with each other to allow for fluid behavior. Whereas attention allows for selection between relevant and irrelevant information, working memory allows relevant information to be maintained and manipulated over time. In our lab we use behavioral methods, event-related potentials, and functional MRI to investigate attention and working memory. We are particularly interested in understanding how these systems work together to select and de-select information. In addition, we investigate how core selection processes may be modified with training (including mindfulness-based training techniques) and mental mode manipulations (including mood, self-focus, and creativity).
Our lab is within the Department of Psychology at the University of Miami, in Florida.
- June 1st, 2015—Mindfulness Training as an Attentional Enhancement Tool, Getting Smart about Getting Smarter: Critically Evaluating Interventions to Improve Intelligence and Reasoning, Ann Arbor, MI.
- May 8th, 2015—Wisdom Research Forum, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- April 14th, 2015—Beyond Deep Breaths: Transforming the Workplace Through Mindfulness, Stern School of Business, New York University, NYC, NY.
- November 8th, 2014—UMindfulness Retreat, The Deering Estate, Miami, FL.
- October 31, 2014—, Mindful Sustainability: Strengthening Present-Centered Attention to Protect Our Planet’s Future, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Gulliver Academy, Miami, FL.
- October 30-November 2, 2014—International Symposium for Contemplative Studies, The Mind and Life Institute, Boston, MA. (see video Dalai Lama Keynote Dialogue)
- October 18, 2014—A Mindful Miami Conference, Mindful Kids Miami, Miami, FL.
- September 18th—Mental and Behavioral Health Conference: Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness, Baptist Health South Florida, Miami, FL.
- September 16th—Networking & Lunch, Pinecrest Business Association, Miami, FL.
- September 8th—UM All-Stars Speaker Series, University of Miami Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Coral Gables, FL.
- August 27th—Strengthening Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training in High-Stress Cohorts, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD.
- July 25-27, 2014—Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness Training, The Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY.
- June 16, 2014—American Society for Clinical Psychopharmacology Annual Meeting. NIH-NCCAM, Hollywood, FL.
- May 5, 2014—Integrative Medicine Lecture Series, NIH Clinical Research Center, Bethesda, MD.
- April 2-6, 2014—12th Annual International Scientific Conference for Clinicians Researchers and Educators, Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- February 21-22, 2014—Mindfulness and Neuroscience: Befriending the Mind, Naropa University, Boulder, CO. (see video)
- February 1, 2014—Winter Retreat: Change Your Mind, Change Your World, Access Circles, Miami Beach, FL.
- August 10, 2013—Mindfulness and Resilience in the Healthy Brain, Aspen Brain Lab, Aspen, CO.
- August 9, 2013—Society of Fellows Luncheon: The New Frontier: Breakthroughs in Mapping the Brain, The Aspen Institute, Aspen, CO.
- June 24-30, 2013—Mindfulness Week, Mindhouse Park, Tallberg, Sweden. (see video)
- May 13, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Scientific American Mind Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Social and Emotional Learning: Preparing Our Children to Excel”
- May 3-5, 2013—Learning & the Brain “Executive Skills for School” Conference, Arlington, VA.
- April 17-21, 2013—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- April 16, 2013—Brown University Contemplative Studies Initiative, Providence, RI.
- February 6, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Nour Foundation Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Becoming Conscious: Uncovering the Science of Mindfulness” (see video)
- January 23-27, 2013—IdeasLab Presentation, World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland.
- November 9, 2012—34th Annual Conference of the National Association of Women Judges, Miami, FL.
- October 26, 2012—Superintendents Forum – 100 Public School Superintendents from 30 states, San Francisco, CA. Keynote Address: “Neuroscience and Technology”
- April 26-29, 2012—International Symposia for Contemplative Studies, Denver, CO. Master Lecture: “Meditation, Attention, and Neuroscience in the Military”
Panel: “Impact of Mindfulness on Brain Resting State Connectivity”
- March 28-April 1, 2012—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA. Co-chair, “Embodiment of Mindfulness: Neuroscience and Clinical Perspectives”
- March 16-18, 2012—Mindfulness in Education Network, Bryn Mawr College, PA. Keynote Address: “Improving Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training” (see video)
- Feb 4-5, 2012—UC-San Diego. “From Dazed and Distracted to Attentive and Calm: What the Neuroscience of Mindfulness Reveals” (see video clip)
News of Interest
Successful UMindfulness Faculty, Staff, and Student Retreat at the Deering Estate!
Inspiring UMindfulness Lecture by Congressman Tim Ryan. Read more here.
To learn more, follow us on Facebook or Twitter @umindfulness.
Fall UMindfulness Lectures!
Learn more about past UMindfulness speakers here
CANE BRAIN Project described in the Miami Herald. Read more here.
Amishi Presents Military Mindfulness Research at NIH
Amishi with Dr. Josephine Briggs, Director of the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
Amishi was invited as a featured speaker for NCCAM’s integrated medicine lecture series. See video here.
Jha Lab Presentations at the 2014 Cognitive Neuroscience Society Meeting. Several members of our lab presented posters at the CNS meeting in Boston!
Learn more here
Successful Neuroscience Symposium
at the UMASS Center for Mindfulness held in Norwood, MA on April 3, 2014.
In photo left to right (Jon Kabat-Zinn, David Vago, Jud Brewer, Amishi Jha, Gaelle Desbordes, Helen Weng, Saki Santorelli)
Learn more here.
Happy New Year!
2 New papers from the Jha lab and collaborators!
Link to Taming a wandering attention
Link to Fractionating the role of executive control