Attention and working memory are two important cognitive systems that interact with each other to allow for fluid behavior. Whereas attention allows for selection between relevant and irrelevant information, working memory allows relevant information to be maintained and manipulated over time. In our lab we use behavioral methods, event-related potentials, and functional MRI to investigate attention and working memory. We are particularly interested in understanding how these systems work together to select and de-select information. In addition, we investigate how core selection processes may be modified with training (including mindfulness-based training techniques) and mental mode manipulations (including mood, self-focus, and creativity).
Our lab is within the Department of Psychology at the University of Miami, in Florida.
- June 26th, 2016—Mindfulness: Not Just for Stress Reduction, 15th Annual Primary Care Focus Symposium, Marco Island, FL.
- October 20th, 2016—Invited Speaker Dr. Alexandra Morrison, The Academy of Brain-Based Leadership Global Exchange, Silicon Valley, CA.
- November 3rd, 2016—Invited Keynote, Florida Council of Independent Schools Convention, Miami, FL.
- November 12th, 2016— International Symposium for Contemplative Studies, Invited Keynote, San Diego, CA.
- March 18th, 2017—Invited Speaker, Lifespan Learning Institute, Los Angeles, CA.
- May 9th, 2016—You Want Proof? Here It Is – The Impact of Mindfulness on Your Brain & Your Business, The Mindful Business Conference, New York, NY.
- February 11th, 2016— Florida SouthWestern State College, Education for a New Humanity Series, Invited Speaker, Fort Myers, FL.
- January 29th, 2016— University of Miami Inauguration of President Frenk, Cane Talks, Training the Brain to Be More Attentive: How Elite Athletes, Military Personnel, and Others Perform Better Under Stress, Coral Gables, FL.
- November 20th, 2015—Optimizing Attention with Mindfulness Training in Military Cohorts, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Tampa, FL.
- November 6th-November 8th, 2015—Program Leader, Mindfulness in Law Retreat, Canyon Ranch, Lenox, MA.
- November 4th, 2015—Mindfulness-Based Attention Training in Teachers, Invited Speaker, Gulliver Schools, Miami, FL.
- October 28th, 2015—Mindfulness-Based Attention Training in Teachers, Invited Speaker, Gulliver Schools, Miami, FL.
- October 21st, 2015—Mindfulness Training in High Stress Cohorts, Distinguished Lecture, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD.
- October 2nd, 2015—Strengthening Attention with Short-Form Mindfulness Training in High Performance Cohorts, Society for Psychophysiological Research 55th Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA.
- September 29th, 2015—Short Form Mindfulness Training as an Attentional Enhancement Intervention, University of Miami Medical School, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Miami, FL.
- September 24th, 2015—Mindful Attention and the Elite Athlete, Association for Applied Sport Psychology, Webinar.
- September 16th, 2015—Optimizing Resilience with Mindfulness Training, Invited Lecture, Maxwell Air Force Base, Montgomery, AL.
- July 30th, 2015—Invited Keynote, 4th Annual LowCountry Mental Health Conference, Charleston, SC.
- June 1st, 2015—Mindfulness Training as an Attentional Enhancement Tool, Getting Smart about Getting Smarter: Critically Evaluating Interventions to Improve Intelligence and Reasoning, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Ann Arbor, MI.
- May 8th, 2015—Wisdom Research Forum, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- April 14th, 2015—Beyond Deep Breaths: Transforming the Workplace Through Mindfulness, Stern School of Business, New York University, NYC, NY.
- November 8th, 2014—UMindfulness Retreat, The Deering Estate, Miami, FL.
- October 31st, 2014—, Mindful Sustainability: Strengthening Present-Centered Attention to Protect Our Planet’s Future, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Gulliver Academy, Miami, FL.
- October 30th-November 2nd, 2014—International Symposium for Contemplative Studies, The Mind and Life Institute, Boston, MA. (see video Dalai Lama Keynote Dialogue)
- October 18th, 2014—A Mindful Miami Conference, Mindful Kids Miami, Miami, FL.
- September 18th—Mental and Behavioral Health Conference: Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness, Baptist Health South Florida, Miami, FL.
- September 16th—Networking & Lunch, Pinecrest Business Association, Miami, FL.
- September 8th—UM All-Stars Speaker Series, University of Miami Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Coral Gables, FL.
- August 27th—Strengthening Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training in High-Stress Cohorts, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD.
- July 25th-27th, 2014—Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness Training, The Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY.
- June 16th, 2014—American Society for Clinical Psychopharmacology Annual Meeting. NIH-NCCAM, Hollywood, FL.
- May 5th, 2014—Integrative Medicine Lecture Series, NIH Clinical Research Center, Bethesda, MD.
- April 2nd-6th, 2014—12th Annual International Scientific Conference for Clinicians Researchers and Educators, Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- February 21st-22nd, 2014—Mindfulness and Neuroscience: Befriending the Mind, Naropa University, Boulder, CO. (see video)
- February 1st, 2014—Winter Retreat: Change Your Mind, Change Your World, Access Circles, Miami Beach, FL.
- August 10th, 2013—Mindfulness and Resilience in the Healthy Brain, Aspen Brain Lab, Aspen, CO.
- August 9th, 2013—Society of Fellows Luncheon: The New Frontier: Breakthroughs in Mapping the Brain, The Aspen Institute, Aspen, CO.
- June 24th-30th, 2013—Mindfulness Week, Mindhouse Park, Tallberg, Sweden. (see video)
- May 13th, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Scientific American Mind Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Social and Emotional Learning: Preparing Our Children to Excel”
- May 3rd-5th, 2013—Learning & the Brain “Executive Skills for School” Conference, Arlington, VA.
- April 17th-21st, 2013—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- April 16th, 2013—Brown University Contemplative Studies Initiative, Providence, RI.
- February 6th, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Nour Foundation Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Becoming Conscious: Uncovering the Science of Mindfulness” (see video)
- January 23rd-27th, 2013—IdeasLab Presentation, World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland.
- November 9th, 2012—34th Annual Conference of the National Association of Women Judges, Miami, FL.
- October 26th, 2012—Superintendents Forum – 100 Public School Superintendents from 30 states, San Francisco, CA. Keynote Address: “Neuroscience and Technology”
- April 26th-29th, 2012—International Symposia for Contemplative Studies, Denver, CO. Master Lecture: “Meditation, Attention, and Neuroscience in the Military”
Panel: “Impact of Mindfulness on Brain Resting State Connectivity”
- March 28th-April 1st, 2012—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA. Co-chair, “Embodiment of Mindfulness: Neuroscience and Clinical Perspectives”
- March 16th-18th, 2012—Mindfulness in Education Network, Bryn Mawr College, PA. Keynote Address: “Improving Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training” (see video)
- Feb 4th-5th, 2012—UC-San Diego. “From Dazed and Distracted to Attentive and Calm: What the Neuroscience of Mindfulness Reveals” (see video clip)
News of Interest
Amishi on Philadelphia’s Radio Times with Marty Moss-Coane.
Click here to listen to Radio Times with Marty Moss-Coane, featuring interviews with Amishi and Dr. Linda Carlson.
Successful UMindfulness lecture with Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn.
Over 800 attendees enjoyed the lecture and discussion by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn. Watch the video here.
3rd Meeting of the Mindfulness Research Working Group.
Productive meeting of 30 contemplative science scholars co-organized by Zindel Segal, Judson Brewer, and Amishi, and hosted by the Jha Lab in Coral Gables.
New manuscript in American Psychologist!
Investigating the phenomenological matrix of mindfulness-related practices from a neurocognitive perspective.
Read the abstract here.
Neuroscience Building Open House.
The Jha Lab was excited to host over 250 visitors to the grand opening of the neuroscience building at the Coral Gables campus of the University of Miami. Learn more here.
MBAT Military Spouses project underway!
DOD-funded project to offer mindfulness and compassion training to military spouses is in progress at Maxwell Air Force Base. Read more here and here.
New research project with Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.
Read more on The Huffington Post.
Watch Amishi’s recent Q & A with the NIH here.
Watch Amishi’s recent interview on The Huffington Post Live here.