Attention and working memory are two important cognitive systems that interact with each other to allow for fluid behavior. Whereas attention allows for selection between relevant and irrelevant information, working memory allows relevant information to be maintained and manipulated over time. In our lab we use behavioral methods, event-related potentials, and functional MRI to investigate attention and working memory. We are particularly interested in understanding how these systems work together to select and de-select information. In addition, we investigate how core selection processes may be modified with training (including mindfulness-based training techniques) and mental mode manipulations (including mood, self-focus, and creativity).
Our lab is within the Department of Psychology at the University of Miami, in Florida.
- November 8th, 2014—UMindfulness Retreat, The Deering Estate, Miami, FL.
- October 31, 2014—, Mindful Sustainability: Strengthening Present-Centered Attention to Protect Our Planet’s Future, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Gulliver Academy, Miami, FL.
- October 30-November 2, 2014—International Symposium for Contemplative Studies, The Mind and Life Institute, Boston, MA.
- October 18, 2014—A Mindful Miami Conference, Mindful Kids Miami, Miami, FL.
- September 18th—Mental and Behavioral Health Conference: Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness, Baptist Health South Florida, Miami, FL.
- September 16th—Networking & Lunch, Pinecrest Business Association, Miami, FL.
- September 8th—UM All-Stars Speaker Series, University of Miami Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Coral Gables, FL.
- August 27th—Strengthening Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training in High-Stress Cohorts, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD.
- July 25-27, 2014—Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness Training, The Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY.
- June 16, 2014—American Society for Clinical Psychopharmacology Annual Meeting. NIH-NCCAM, Hollywood, FL.
- May 5, 2014—Integrative Medicine Lecture Series, NIH Clinical Research Center, Bethesda, MD.
- April 2-6, 2014—12th Annual International Scientific Conference for Clinicians Researchers and Educators, Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- February 21-22, 2014—Mindfulness and Neuroscience: Befriending the Mind, Naropa University, Boulder, CO. (see video)
- February 1, 2014—Winter Retreat: Change Your Mind, Change Your World, Access Circles, Miami Beach, FL.
- August 10, 2013—Mindfulness and Resilience in the Healthy Brain, Aspen Brain Lab, Aspen, CO.
- August 9, 2013—Society of Fellows Luncheon: The New Frontier: Breakthroughs in Mapping the Brain, The Aspen Institute, Aspen, CO.
- June 24-30, 2013—Mindfulness Week, Mindhouse Park, Tallberg, Sweden. (see video)
- May 13, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Scientific American Mind Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Social and Emotional Learning: Preparing Our Children to Excel”
- May 3-5, 2013—Learning & the Brain “Executive Skills for School” Conference, Arlington, VA.
- April 17-21, 2013—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- April 16, 2013—Brown University Contemplative Studies Initiative, Providence, RI.
- February 6, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Nour Foundation Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Becoming Conscious: Uncovering the Science of Mindfulness” (see video)
- January 23-27, 2013—IdeasLab Presentation, World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland.
- November 9, 2012—34th Annual Conference of the National Association of Women Judges, Miami, FL.
- October 26, 2012—Superintendents Forum – 100 Public School Superintendents from 30 states, San Francisco, CA. Keynote Address: “Neuroscience and Technology”
- April 26-29, 2012—International Symposia for Contemplative Studies, Denver, CO. Master Lecture: “Meditation, Attention, and Neuroscience in the Military”
Panel: “Impact of Mindfulness on Brain Resting State Connectivity”
- March 28-April 1, 2012—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA. Co-chair, “Embodiment of Mindfulness: Neuroscience and Clinical Perspectives”
- March 16-18, 2012—Mindfulness in Education Network, Bryn Mawr College, PA. Keynote Address: “Improving Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training” (see video)
- Feb 4-5, 2012—UC-San Diego. “From Dazed and Distracted to Attentive and Calm: What the Neuroscience of Mindfulness Reveals” (see video clip)
News of Interest
Happy New Year!
2 New papers from the Jha lab and collaborators!
Link to Taming a wandering attention
Link to Fractionating the role of executive control
Upcoming Keynote Announced Oct 2014!
Amishi will be presenting at the International Symposium for Contemplative Studies.
Learn more here.
The Jha Lab is Hiring!
FMRI post-doc position available, learn more here.
||Science of Mindfulness
Annals of NY Academy of Sciences
Steve Paulson, Richard Davidson, Amishi Jha, Jon Kabat-Zinn
||New study by Jha Lab and NYU Collaborators!
Mindfulness Training in Incarcerated Youth.
Read more here.
||Amishi joins board for the
Synapse Project which aims to empower girls to pursue careers in neuroscience.
Read more here.
||Jha lab’s work featured in the Miami Herald, read here.
||We have moved to our new home in UM’s Neuroscience building (learn more here).