Attention and working memory are two important cognitive systems that interact with each other to allow for fluid behavior. Whereas attention allows for selection between relevant and irrelevant information, working memory allows relevant information to be maintained and manipulated over time. In our lab we use behavioral methods, event-related potentials, and functional MRI to investigate attention and working memory. We are particularly interested in understanding how these systems work together to select and de-select information. In addition, we investigate how core selection processes may be modified with training (including mindfulness-based training techniques) and mental mode manipulations (including mood, self-focus, and creativity).
Our lab is within the Department of Psychology at the University of Miami, in Florida.
- June 26th, 2016—Mindfulness: Not Just for Stress Reduction, 15th Annual Primary Care Focus Symposium, Marco Island, FL.
- October 20th, 2016—Invited Speaker Dr. Alexandra Morrison, The Academy of Brain-Based Leadership Global Exchange, Silicon Valley, CA.
- November 3rd, 2016—Invited Keynote, Florida Council of Independent Schools Convention, Miami, FL.
- November 12th, 2016— International Symposium for Contemplative Studies, Invited Keynote, San Diego, CA.
- May 9th, 2016—You Want Proof? Here It Is – The Impact of Mindfulness on Your Brain & Your Business, The Mindful Business Conference, New York, NY.
- February 11th, 2016— Florida SouthWestern State College, Education for a New Humanity Series, Invited Speaker, Fort Myers, FL.
- January 29th, 2016— University of Miami Inauguration of President Frenk, Cane Talks, Training the Brain to Be More Attentive: How Elite Athletes, Military Personnel, and Others Perform Better Under Stress, Coral Gables, FL.
- November 20th, 2015—Optimizing Attention with Mindfulness Training in Military Cohorts, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Tampa, FL.
- November 6th-November 8th, 2015—Program Leader, Mindfulness in Law Retreat, Canyon Ranch, Lenox, MA.
- November 4th, 2015—Mindfulness-Based Attention Training in Teachers, Invited Speaker, Gulliver Schools, Miami, FL.
- October 28th, 2015—Mindfulness-Based Attention Training in Teachers, Invited Speaker, Gulliver Schools, Miami, FL.
- October 21st, 2015—Mindfulness Training in High Stress Cohorts, Distinguished Lecture, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD.
- October 2nd, 2015—Strengthening Attention with Short-Form Mindfulness Training in High Performance Cohorts, Society for Psychophysiological Research 55th Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA.
- September 29th, 2015—Short Form Mindfulness Training as an Attentional Enhancement Intervention, University of Miami Medical School, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Miami, FL.
- September 24th, 2015—Mindful Attention and the Elite Athlete, Association for Applied Sport Psychology, Webinar.
- September 16th, 2015—Optimizing Resilience with Mindfulness Training, Invited Lecture, Maxwell Air Force Base, Montgomery, AL.
- July 30th, 2015—Invited Keynote, 4th Annual LowCountry Mental Health Conference, Charleston, SC.
- June 1st, 2015—Mindfulness Training as an Attentional Enhancement Tool, Getting Smart about Getting Smarter: Critically Evaluating Interventions to Improve Intelligence and Reasoning, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Ann Arbor, MI.
- May 8th, 2015—Wisdom Research Forum, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- April 14th, 2015—Beyond Deep Breaths: Transforming the Workplace Through Mindfulness, Stern School of Business, New York University, NYC, NY.
- November 8th, 2014—UMindfulness Retreat, The Deering Estate, Miami, FL.
- October 31st, 2014—, Mindful Sustainability: Strengthening Present-Centered Attention to Protect Our Planet’s Future, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Gulliver Academy, Miami, FL.
- October 30th-November 2nd, 2014—International Symposium for Contemplative Studies, The Mind and Life Institute, Boston, MA. (see video Dalai Lama Keynote Dialogue)
- October 18th, 2014—A Mindful Miami Conference, Mindful Kids Miami, Miami, FL.
- September 18th—Mental and Behavioral Health Conference: Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness, Baptist Health South Florida, Miami, FL.
- September 16th—Networking & Lunch, Pinecrest Business Association, Miami, FL.
- September 8th—UM All-Stars Speaker Series, University of Miami Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Coral Gables, FL.
- August 27th—Strengthening Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training in High-Stress Cohorts, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD.
- July 25th-27th, 2014—Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness Training, The Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY.
- June 16th, 2014—American Society for Clinical Psychopharmacology Annual Meeting. NIH-NCCAM, Hollywood, FL.
- May 5th, 2014—Integrative Medicine Lecture Series, NIH Clinical Research Center, Bethesda, MD.
- April 2nd-6th, 2014—12th Annual International Scientific Conference for Clinicians Researchers and Educators, Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- February 21st-22nd, 2014—Mindfulness and Neuroscience: Befriending the Mind, Naropa University, Boulder, CO. (see video)
- February 1st, 2014—Winter Retreat: Change Your Mind, Change Your World, Access Circles, Miami Beach, FL.
- August 10th, 2013—Mindfulness and Resilience in the Healthy Brain, Aspen Brain Lab, Aspen, CO.
- August 9th, 2013—Society of Fellows Luncheon: The New Frontier: Breakthroughs in Mapping the Brain, The Aspen Institute, Aspen, CO.
- June 24th-30th, 2013—Mindfulness Week, Mindhouse Park, Tallberg, Sweden. (see video)
- May 13th, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Scientific American Mind Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Social and Emotional Learning: Preparing Our Children to Excel”
- May 3rd-5th, 2013—Learning & the Brain “Executive Skills for School” Conference, Arlington, VA.
- April 17th-21st, 2013—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- April 16th, 2013—Brown University Contemplative Studies Initiative, Providence, RI.
- February 6th, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Nour Foundation Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Becoming Conscious: Uncovering the Science of Mindfulness” (see video)
- January 23rd-27th, 2013—IdeasLab Presentation, World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland.
- November 9th, 2012—34th Annual Conference of the National Association of Women Judges, Miami, FL.
- October 26th, 2012—Superintendents Forum – 100 Public School Superintendents from 30 states, San Francisco, CA. Keynote Address: “Neuroscience and Technology”
- April 26th-29th, 2012—International Symposia for Contemplative Studies, Denver, CO. Master Lecture: “Meditation, Attention, and Neuroscience in the Military”
Panel: “Impact of Mindfulness on Brain Resting State Connectivity”
- March 28th-April 1st, 2012—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA. Co-chair, “Embodiment of Mindfulness: Neuroscience and Clinical Perspectives”
- March 16th-18th, 2012—Mindfulness in Education Network, Bryn Mawr College, PA. Keynote Address: “Improving Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training” (see video)
- Feb 4th-5th, 2012—UC-San Diego. “From Dazed and Distracted to Attentive and Calm: What the Neuroscience of Mindfulness Reveals” (see video clip)
News of Interest
Jha Lab Launches Mindfulness Study with National Guard Units
This summer we will begin a DOD-funded project with the Kansas Air National Guard to investigate train-the-trainer delivery of mindfulness training.
Dr. Jha with KSANG 184th Intelligence Wing Vice Commander Col Joseph Jabara and SMSgt Justin Betterton
Jha Lab Featured on PBS Series ‘Living Well With Carmel’
Amishi and Scott Rogers discuss mindfulness training and the cost of stress on the brain’s attention system with Carmel Baronoff in her 30-minute weekly TV series on PBS. Click here to watch!
Mindful Business Conference in New York City
Amishi will be a keynote speaker at the upcoming Mindful Business Conference in New York City, May 9-10. Click here to learn more!
Dr. Alexandra Morrison Presents at Neurociencia Cognitiva & Mindfulness
Dr. Morrison lectured on attention, working memory, and mindfulness at the 3rd International Symposium for Cognitive Neuroscience and Mindfulness in Gurabo, Puerto Rico.
Jha Lab Research at the Cognitive Neuroscience Society Annual Meeting
Research associate Emily Brudner presented her poster “Expectation and Individual Differences in Emotion Regulation Modulate Neural Responses to Affective Stimuli” at the 23rd Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Neuroscience Society.
Amishi Gives ‘Cane Talk at Inauguration of University President, Julio Frenk
Training the Brain to Be More Attentive: How Elite Athletes, Military Personnel, and Others Perform Better Under Stress.
Watch the video here!
Compassion and Mindfulness Retreat with Sharon Salzberg
The UMindfulness Initiative was proud to welcome Sharon Salzberg for a 2-day retreat with the Miami community! Over 175 members of the community were in attendance.
Successful UMindfulness Lecture with Sharon Salzberg
Over 75 attendees enjoyed the lecture and discussion by Sharon Salzberg at Temple Beth Sholom in Miami Beach hosted by the UMindfulness Initiative!
New Manuscript in the Journal Mindfulness
Practice is Protective: Mindfulness Training Promotes Cognitive Resilience in High-Stress Cohorts.