Attention and working memory are two important cognitive systems that interact with each other to allow for fluid behavior. Whereas attention allows for selection between relevant and irrelevant information, working memory allows relevant information to be maintained and manipulated over time. In our lab we use behavioral methods, event-related potentials, and functional MRI to investigate attention and working memory. We are particularly interested in understanding how these systems work together to select and de-select information. In addition, we investigate how core selection processes may be modified with training (including mindfulness-based training techniques) and mental mode manipulations (including mood, self-focus, and creativity).
Our lab is within the Department of Psychology at the University of Miami, in Florida.
- March 17th, 2017— TEDx Coconut Grove, Miami, FL.
- March 18th, 2017— Mind, Consciousness, and the Cultivation of Well-Being, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA.
- March 20th, 2017— Strengthening Attention with Mindfulness Training in High-Stress Cohorts, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
- March 28th, 2017— Acting with Awareness: Mindfulness, Resilience & Leadership, NYU, New York City, NY.
- April 6th, 2017— National Consortium for Building Healthy Academic Communities, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
- April 10th, 2017— Building Cognitive Resilience in High Stress Cohorts with Mindfulness Training, Brown University, Providence, RI.
- May 12th, 2017— Southern District of Florida Bench and Bar Conference, Hollywood, FL.
- June 9th-11th, 2017— Invited Speaker, Google Headquarters, San Francisco, CA.
- June 9th-11th, 2017— Invited Speaker and Workshop Co-Leader, Mindfulness and Leadership Under Pressure, 1440 Multiversity, San Jose, CA.
- June 22nd, 2017— Florida Council of Independent Schools,Tampa Bay, FL.
- January 18th, 2017— Mission United Program, United Way of Miami Dade, Miami, FL.
- January 12th, 2017— Citizen’s Board, University of Miami, Miami, FL.
- December 8th, 2016— We Are One U: Los Angeles ‘Cane Talk, Los Angeles, CA.
- November 12th, 2016— International Symposium for Contemplative Studies,San Diego, CA.
- November 3rd, 2016— Florida Council of Independent Schools Convention, Miami, FL.
- October 20th, 2016—Invited Speaker Dr. Alexandra Morrison, The Academy of Brain-Based Leadership Global Exchange, Silicon Valley, CA.
- October 4th, 2016— Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Manpower & Reserve Affair’s “Brown Bag” Series,Pentagon Library & Conference Center, Arlington, VA.
- September 22nd, 2016— The Middlebury College Art and Science of Mindful Engagement Symposium, Middlebury, VT.
- June 26th, 2016—Mindfulness: Not Just for Stress Reduction, 15th Annual Primary Care Focus Symposium, Marco Island, FL.
- May 9th, 2016—You Want Proof? Here It Is – The Impact of Mindfulness on Your Brain & Your Business, The Mindful Business Conference, New York, NY.
- February 11th, 2016— Florida SouthWestern State College, Education for a New Humanity Series, Invited Speaker, Fort Myers, FL.
- January 29th, 2016— University of Miami Inauguration of President Frenk, Cane Talks, Training the Brain to Be More Attentive: How Elite Athletes, Military Personnel, and Others Perform Better Under Stress, Coral Gables, FL.
- November 20th, 2015—Optimizing Attention with Mindfulness Training in Military Cohorts, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Tampa, FL.
- November 6th-November 8th, 2015—Program Leader, Mindfulness in Law Retreat, Canyon Ranch, Lenox, MA.
- November 4th, 2015—Mindfulness-Based Attention Training in Teachers, Invited Speaker, Gulliver Schools, Miami, FL.
- October 28th, 2015—Mindfulness-Based Attention Training in Teachers, Invited Speaker, Gulliver Schools, Miami, FL.
- October 21st, 2015—Mindfulness Training in High Stress Cohorts, Distinguished Lecture, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD.
- October 2nd, 2015—Strengthening Attention with Short-Form Mindfulness Training in High Performance Cohorts, Society for Psychophysiological Research 55th Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA.
- September 29th, 2015—Short Form Mindfulness Training as an Attentional Enhancement Intervention, University of Miami Medical School, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Miami, FL.
- September 24th, 2015—Mindful Attention and the Elite Athlete, Association for Applied Sport Psychology, Webinar.
- September 16th, 2015—Optimizing Resilience with Mindfulness Training, Invited Lecture, Maxwell Air Force Base, Montgomery, AL.
- July 30th, 2015—Invited Keynote, 4th Annual LowCountry Mental Health Conference, Charleston, SC.
- June 1st, 2015—Mindfulness Training as an Attentional Enhancement Tool, Getting Smart about Getting Smarter: Critically Evaluating Interventions to Improve Intelligence and Reasoning, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Ann Arbor, MI.
- May 8th, 2015—Wisdom Research Forum, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- April 14th, 2015—Beyond Deep Breaths: Transforming the Workplace Through Mindfulness, Stern School of Business, New York University, NYC, NY.
- November 8th, 2014—UMindfulness Retreat, The Deering Estate, Miami, FL.
- October 31st, 2014—, Mindful Sustainability: Strengthening Present-Centered Attention to Protect Our Planet’s Future, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Gulliver Academy, Miami, FL.
- October 30th-November 2nd, 2014—International Symposium for Contemplative Studies, The Mind and Life Institute, Boston, MA. (see video Dalai Lama Keynote Dialogue)
- October 18th, 2014—A Mindful Miami Conference, Mindful Kids Miami, Miami, FL.
- September 18th, 2014—Mental and Behavioral Health Conference: Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness, Baptist Health South Florida, Miami, FL.
- September 16th, 2014—Networking & Lunch, Pinecrest Business Association, Miami, FL.
- September 8th, 2014—UM All-Stars Speaker Series, University of Miami Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Coral Gables, FL.
- August 27th, 2014—Strengthening Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training in High-Stress Cohorts, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD.
- July 25th-27th, 2014—Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness Training, The Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY.
- June 16th, 2014—American Society for Clinical Psychopharmacology Annual Meeting. NIH-NCCAM, Hollywood, FL.
- May 5th, 2014—Integrative Medicine Lecture Series, NIH Clinical Research Center, Bethesda, MD.
- April 2nd-6th, 2014—12th Annual International Scientific Conference for Clinicians Researchers and Educators, Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- February 21st-22nd, 2014—Mindfulness and Neuroscience: Befriending the Mind, Naropa University, Boulder, CO. (see video)
- February 1st, 2014—Winter Retreat: Change Your Mind, Change Your World, Access Circles, Miami Beach, FL.
- August 10th, 2013—Mindfulness and Resilience in the Healthy Brain, Aspen Brain Lab, Aspen, CO.
- August 9th, 2013—Society of Fellows Luncheon: The New Frontier: Breakthroughs in Mapping the Brain, The Aspen Institute, Aspen, CO.
- June 24th-30th, 2013—Mindfulness Week, Mindhouse Park, Tallberg, Sweden. (see video)
- May 13th, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Scientific American Mind Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Social and Emotional Learning: Preparing Our Children to Excel”
- May 3rd-5th, 2013—Learning & the Brain “Executive Skills for School” Conference, Arlington, VA.
- April 17th-21st, 2013—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- April 16th, 2013—Brown University Contemplative Studies Initiative, Providence, RI.
- February 6th, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Nour Foundation Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Becoming Conscious: Uncovering the Science of Mindfulness” (see video)
- January 23rd-27th, 2013—IdeasLab Presentation, World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland.
- November 9th, 2012—34th Annual Conference of the National Association of Women Judges, Miami, FL.
- October 26th, 2012—Superintendents Forum – 100 Public School Superintendents from 30 states, San Francisco, CA. Keynote Address: “Neuroscience and Technology”
- April 26th-29th, 2012—International Symposia for Contemplative Studies, Denver, CO. Master Lecture: “Meditation, Attention, and Neuroscience in the Military”
Panel: “Impact of Mindfulness on Brain Resting State Connectivity”
- March 28th-April 1st, 2012—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA. Co-chair, “Embodiment of Mindfulness: Neuroscience and Clinical Perspectives”
- March 16th-18th, 2012— Mindfulness in Education Network, Bryn Mawr College, PA. Keynote Address: “Improving Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training” (see video)
- Feb 4th-5th, 2012—UC-San Diego. “From Dazed and Distracted to Attentive and Calm: What the Neuroscience of Mindfulness Reveals”
News of Interest
Amishi to present at TEDx Coconut Grove!
Join us for Amishi’s presentation “Taming Your Wandering Mind” on March 17. Get tickets here!
UMindfulness Lecture by Noah Levine
The UMindfulness Initiative hosted an illuminating lecture by Noah Levine on February 23rd, 2017. Watch video here .
Upcoming event at NYU
Amishi and MG Piatt will have an evening dialogue with NY Times reporter David Gelles. Learn more here.
Job opening in the Jha Lab: 2-year Research Associate Position
Contemplative Neuroscience Research — Mindfulness Training in High Stress Cohorts
Are you interested in graduate school in cognitive or affective neuroscience and eager to get more in-depth research experience for 2 years before applying? Are you interested in mindfulness training and contemplative neuroscience? Do you have stellar interpersonal and problem solving skills, enjoy working in a team environment, and thrive while engaging in detail-oriented tasks including data analysis and logistical coordination of research studies? If you answered YES to these questions, you would be a stellar candidate for the position below. While prior ERP experience is preferred, it is not a must. But if you do not have a cognitive neuroscience/experimental psychology background, and no prior experience with data collection in psychological studies, please do not apply.
Click here to apply!
• Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Neuroscience or related discipline required.
• One year of cumulative EEG experience preferred.
• Experience with research in the cognitive neurosciences of attention and emotion regulation preferred.
New workshop announced for this summer!
Amishi, Lt Col Jannell MacAulay, and Scott Rogers present research and practices on mindfulness and leadership under high pressure. Learn more here.
Mindfulness and Compassion Workshop
We are excited to announce our new UMindfulness partnership with University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, offering a mindfulness and compassion workshop on Feb 2, and more training and practice opportunities to follow!
Free event! Lecture and Conversation with Noah Levine
Join the UMindfulness Initiative for the next event in our Mindfulness Lecture Series, a lecture and conversation with meditation teacher and best-selling author Noah Levine on February 23rd, 2017. Registration is required. To learn more and register, please click here.
New Jha Lab Publication!
Osman, A., Paczynski, M., & Jha, A. P. (2017). Affective expectations influence neural responses to stressful images in soldiers. Military Psychology, 29(1), 41-57. See abstract here.
Amishi to Join President Frenk in Los Angeles
Amishi to Join University of Miami President Julio Frenk in Los Angeles for the We Are One U tour. Learn more here.