Attention and working memory are two important cognitive systems that interact with each other to allow for fluid behavior. Whereas attention allows for selection between relevant and irrelevant information, working memory allows relevant information to be maintained and manipulated over time. In our lab we use behavioral methods, event-related potentials, and functional MRI to investigate attention and working memory. We are particularly interested in understanding how these systems work together to select and de-select information. In addition, we investigate how core selection processes may be modified with training (including mindfulness-based training techniques) and mental mode manipulations (including mood, self-focus, and creativity).
Our lab is within the Department of Psychology at the University of Miami, in Florida.
- July 30th, 2015—Invited Keynote, 4th Annual LowCountry Mental Health Conference, Charleston, SC.
- June 1st, 2015—Mindfulness Training as an Attentional Enhancement Tool, Getting Smart about Getting Smarter: Critically Evaluating Interventions to Improve Intelligence and Reasoning, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Ann Arbor, MI.
- May 8th, 2015—Wisdom Research Forum, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- April 14th, 2015—Beyond Deep Breaths: Transforming the Workplace Through Mindfulness, Stern School of Business, New York University, NYC, NY.
- November 8th, 2014—UMindfulness Retreat, The Deering Estate, Miami, FL.
- October 31st, 2014—, Mindful Sustainability: Strengthening Present-Centered Attention to Protect Our Planet’s Future, Dr. Alexandra Morrison, Gulliver Academy, Miami, FL.
- October 30th-November 2nd, 2014—International Symposium for Contemplative Studies, The Mind and Life Institute, Boston, MA. (see video Dalai Lama Keynote Dialogue)
- October 18th, 2014—A Mindful Miami Conference, Mindful Kids Miami, Miami, FL.
- September 18th—Mental and Behavioral Health Conference: Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness, Baptist Health South Florida, Miami, FL.
- September 16th—Networking & Lunch, Pinecrest Business Association, Miami, FL.
- September 8th—UM All-Stars Speaker Series, University of Miami Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Coral Gables, FL.
- August 27th—Strengthening Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training in High-Stress Cohorts, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD.
- July 25th-27th, 2014—Strengthening the Brain’s Attention System with Mindfulness Training, The Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY.
- June 16th, 2014—American Society for Clinical Psychopharmacology Annual Meeting. NIH-NCCAM, Hollywood, FL.
- May 5th, 2014—Integrative Medicine Lecture Series, NIH Clinical Research Center, Bethesda, MD.
- April 2nd-6th, 2014—12th Annual International Scientific Conference for Clinicians Researchers and Educators, Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- February 21st-22nd, 2014—Mindfulness and Neuroscience: Befriending the Mind, Naropa University, Boulder, CO. (see video)
- February 1st, 2014—Winter Retreat: Change Your Mind, Change Your World, Access Circles, Miami Beach, FL.
- August 10th, 2013—Mindfulness and Resilience in the Healthy Brain, Aspen Brain Lab, Aspen, CO.
- August 9th, 2013—Society of Fellows Luncheon: The New Frontier: Breakthroughs in Mapping the Brain, The Aspen Institute, Aspen, CO.
- June 24th-30th, 2013—Mindfulness Week, Mindhouse Park, Tallberg, Sweden. (see video)
- May 13th, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Scientific American Mind Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Social and Emotional Learning: Preparing Our Children to Excel”
- May 3rd-5th, 2013—Learning & the Brain “Executive Skills for School” Conference, Arlington, VA.
- April 17th-21st, 2013—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA.
- April 16th, 2013—Brown University Contemplative Studies Initiative, Providence, RI.
- February 6th, 2013—NY Academy of Sciences and Nour Foundation Meeting, New York, NY. Speaker: “Becoming Conscious: Uncovering the Science of Mindfulness” (see video)
- January 23rd-27th, 2013—IdeasLab Presentation, World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland.
- November 9th, 2012—34th Annual Conference of the National Association of Women Judges, Miami, FL.
- October 26th, 2012—Superintendents Forum – 100 Public School Superintendents from 30 states, San Francisco, CA. Keynote Address: “Neuroscience and Technology”
- April 26th-29th, 2012—International Symposia for Contemplative Studies, Denver, CO. Master Lecture: “Meditation, Attention, and Neuroscience in the Military”
Panel: “Impact of Mindfulness on Brain Resting State Connectivity”
- March 28th-April 1st, 2012—Center for Mindfulness Scientific Conference, Norwood, MA. Co-chair, “Embodiment of Mindfulness: Neuroscience and Clinical Perspectives”
- March 16th-18th, 2012—Mindfulness in Education Network, Bryn Mawr College, PA. Keynote Address: “Improving Attention and Working Memory with Mindfulness Training” (see video)
- Feb 4th-5th, 2012—UC-San Diego. “From Dazed and Distracted to Attentive and Calm: What the Neuroscience of Mindfulness Reveals” (see video clip)
News of Interest
Please join us October 9th for our next UMindfulness Lecture with Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn! To purchase tickets and learn more click here.
New Jha lab research collaboration with Maxwell Air Force Base to investigate the influence of mindfulness and compassion training in military spouses. Read more here.
New research project with Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.
Read more on The Huffington Post.
Watch Amishi’s recent Q & A with the NIH here.
Watch Amishi’s recent interview on The Huffington Post Live here.
Join us April 7 for a UMindfulness Lecture with Dr. Zindel Segal.
New Jha Lab Paper! Mindfulness Training in Military Cohorts.
Read it here
Terrific UMindfulness Lecture and Conversation with Dr. Dan Goleman. Read more here and see video here.
Amishi and Dan Goleman discuss attention and mindfulness.
Photo credit: Raymond Mathews
Please join us for our next UMindfulness lecture with Dr. Dan Goleman on January 28th!